Monday, December 17, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter U is for USA (Wojtkowski/a, Jagodzinski, Ostryski,Schmitz, Gauquie, Larsen)!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter U is for USA (Wojtkowski/a, Jagodzinski, Ostryski,Schmitz, Gauquie, Larsen)!

The United States is a melting pot and I'm a perfect example of it. 

I have Polish, Russian, German, Belgium, French, Danish and more. The ones I've listed are the places I've traced each of my 2x great grandparents, great grandparents or even grandparents back to. 


My DNA says the same things but actually shows more Finland which I wasn't expecting. 

My DNA Map from FTDNA.

Each of these ancestors of mine have come through Ellis Island after week's long sea voyages. Some manifests I've been able to find and others I haven't. This doesn't mean I've stopped looking for them. 
My great grandfather's page 1 of arrival in NY USA. Credit Ellis Island
My great grandmother and grandmother's cropped page 1 of arrival in NY USA. Credit: Ellis Island
My 2x great grandfather page 1 of arrival in NY USA. Credit Ellis Island
My 2x once removed great aunt of arrival in NY USA. Credit Ellis Island.

All these ancestors came for different reasons I think can be categorized as:
  • Safety
  • Health and Food
  • Freedom of Religion
  • Land of Opportunity
Most of my ancestors came for the first two reasons, due to what little information I have gathered in their home countries due to war and famine. The last two reasons I think only a few of my ancestors came for which is because they felt in their home countries their religion and opportunities in the USA outweighed staying, so they left. 

Can we ever be sure of these reasons? No. Not unless someone recorded someone asking that question. However, by were they came from, I get the feeling they were basically forced to run or else it would have meant their lives. 

The 2 I felt were different were the Gauquie's and Schmitz. I think in the Gauquie's defense King Leopold II was in charge and things were not looking good due to the fighting there among people. 

With my grandfather, which is the Schmitz, I think it was economic due to the inflation of the German mark and the rise of Hitler and employment. My gut tells me its also he had a falling out with his father which was the last straw and took off to the US to be with his Aunt and Uncle. 

My grandfather's page 1 of arrival in NY USA. Credit: Ellis Island
However, each had their own reasons why they gave up their home country. 

It makes me think of today's refugees. Could it be they are feeling the same way my ancestors did and had to give up their home country? 

I'm in immigrant in Australia. However, for the most part, I wasn't fleeing from any of the stuff I've listed. I fell in love with someone in another country and one of us had to give up their home country. We looked at it from a logical standpoint and found we would get more if we live in Australia with more time off and easier to get and pay for a house than anywhere else. This and my husband's family was much closer than my own. 

However, since the current political attitude, I've been bullied harassed and called names. I have even been told I should give up my American citizenship because I was out of touch. 

Those of you who have called me names including liar can kiss this. Credit
Well, they can kiss my big butt I'm not giving anything up. I'm more American than most. Just because some people use phrases which mean one thing but to someone else another. This was after someone using the phrase snowflake which I hate especially after finding someone in my extended family died in the Nazi death camps. My generation don't understand history and using phrases like that are just WRONG. 

Again, they can kiss my big butt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment