Friday, December 21, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter X is for Xanadu!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad. 

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter X is for Xanadu

I figured for this post, I'd do something different. 

Xanadu I know of because of the movie with Olivia Newton-John in it. I liked it because of the catchy songs and story. 
I love this movie. Credit
I thought it was a made up word until I looked it up

Xanadu is defined as an idealized place of great or idyllic magnificence and beauty.

Then I got to thinking... did any of my ancestors decide to settle in a place because it was their Xanadu?

It certainly wouldn't have been talked about, but it is possible. 

I think my great grandfather Jules Gauquie, who traveled to Minnesota, might have thought when he saw the area around Chester, New York which was later named Blooming Grove, could have seemed to him to be just this as they bought a huge section of land, and back then there was a LOT of land they could have bought. 

Page 1 of Jules and Annie's Deed on the farm. Credit
Page 1 of Jules and Annie's Deed on the farm. Credit

Then you have my grandfather Mathias Schmitz. After World War 2, he went up to see a military buddy and ended up buying a bar and grill from him. Could the area around there remind him of home and of a great place and that's why he decide to buy the bar and grill? 
One this is for sure, we will never know, but it is an interesting concept to ponder with our ancestors. 

Then for ourselves: Is where you're currently living your own personal Xanadu? 

I wonder how much time was used in making decisions? Credit

I know we love our house and where it sits, but the neighborhood around us has change so drastically, I'm not sure if I like it anymore or not. 

I do know up until a certain president said he could walk down 5th Avenue waving a gun and not get caught, I was feeling pretty safe in the US. 

Since this statement? No so much to the point where we're waiting until people get sane again before visiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment