Saturday, December 15, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter T is for Timberger!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter T is for Timberger!

My sister married into the Timberger family. Yep, all 3 of my nieces were born Timberger's. 

Their father, Jack, was married to my oldest sister for about ten years. Then my sister got custody of them. 
Jack in a family photo in the 1970s

Jack comes from a big family. His mother Dorothy, or Dot, and father, Percy, or Doc, were his parents. They are both passed away now.

From my research, Doc was employed by the railways. From what I was told he fought in World War 2, but I can't be sure. However, when he got back from there, he went back to the railways but drank heavily. Eventually, he retired and was home all the time. 

I only knew him the last handful of years before he passed away, but he was not a nice person and I felt sorry for Dot. 

Dot at her home in the 1980s. Credit J. Fitzgerald
Dot was a hard worker. She raised all her kids and then went off to work in the butchers part of a 
supermarket called Shoprite. She was there until she was able to retire. However, the years of smoking caught up with her and she passed away. This was a sad time for many of us because her house always had an open door policy about it. However, now she's long gone and no one lives in the house any longer. 

The house is where my sister and Jack were married.  Also, after my youngest niece, April, was 2, we had to hold most my nieces' birthday parties there until they were married. 

This is the area in 2016. Credit Google Earth. All pictures I had taken and could find were too blurry.
I have started some small research into their past but the thought I'd better stop only because its not really my line. 
My niece's 2x great grandfather. Credit: Marlborough NY Southern Ulster Pioneer 1963 Jun-mar 1964  
This is for my niece's and that side of the family to check into if they want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment