Monday, December 24, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter Y is for Yuletide!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter Y is for Yuletide

Yuletide is basically the Christmas season which goes from December 24th until January 6th for many Europeans. 

My family, in this way, was consistent.  We all were/are of the Roman Catholic faith. 

However, are there any Christmas holiday traditions which are passed down? 

By the time I was a teenager, my mother and I were over Christmas. I did like to bake up until I was in my late teens, but then money and time were against me. Mostly it was money and we just didn't have it. 

There was always a tree and music but this was about it. 

When I started to research areas of the family, I found Poland had quite the traditions. This is just some of them. 
Credit
German, Danish, and Belgian traditions I haven't really researched. 

I do know from talking to my other cousins, many people go to either Christmas Eve or Christmas morning mass. 

They have family over and have a meal with them. 

We used to have the same traditions when I was at home with my mother with having people come over to visit us. When I was growing up, I used to either have to make an appearance either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day at my father's for the Pony show but that was about it. 

Now we work the day out with my father in law and either we're at home or at his home. We open our gifts in the morning, and I make a huge breakfast. Then I start cooking some kind of huge feast and eat in the afternoon. I do call overseas to speak to my parents if they are around. I used to call everyone but it was just too long and if we're not home it could get expensive. And frustrating. 

Credit: J. Fitzgerald

Credit: J. Fitzgerald

Credit: J. Fitzgerald
What kind of traditions do you have for the holidays?

Merry Christmas from us to you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment