Friday, December 7, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter S is for South Carolina, USA (James, Wojtkowski) or St Mary’s Church!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…
The letter S is for South Carolina, USA (James, Wojtkowski) or St Mary’s Church!

Current Generation
South Carolina has recently been in the headlines because of Hurricane Florence. We have family there with my second oldest sister, Jean, moving down there around 1998 or so. Her husband, at that point, Tommy, wanted to be around his mother as she was getting up in age. 

Copyright J. Fitzgerald of picture. Jean with Steven on lap, Midgie (the dog), Jean's husband Tommy, with TJ on his lap. Taken at Jean's father, Matthew's, house in Newburgh, NY in 1980.

Currently my sister, now my ex-brother in law Tommy and two nephews, TJ and Steven, all live down there. I know Tommy and both nephews are fine after the storm. My sister and I don't talk so I don't know how she is. I believe she got remarried but I cannot confirm this either. 

Few Generations back
I have found when I was doing research on the Ostryzki's, one of them, Adam, and his wife moved to South Carolina
Google Map of the area.

1940s WW2 register with a VA address. I do have others which are in the late 1930s as well. Credit
They settled in and had a daughter named Victoria. She grew up, was educated as a nurse, got married and moved to the United Kingdom with her husband. However, within a handful of years, she died still in her prime. 

Victoria's March 1964 Report of death in England. Credit

Unfortunately, the paperwork I found says it was a drug overdose. 

You never know what you're going to find. 

St Mary's Church
You are probably thinking what does St. Mary's Church have to do with my family? 

Well, the Gauquie's have gone to this church for years. In fact, the main immigrants to the US, Jules and Annie, along with most of their children, are all buried here. 

Jules and Anne's daughter. Credit

Jules and Annie who were the first to come to the US. Credit
Charles & Kathryn and their children. Credit
James and Anne Gauquie. Credit

I know there are more, but these are samples and they are all buried at St. Mary's Church and Cemetary!

Credit
During my great grandparent's lifetimes they were big supporters of St. Mary's Church. They did many fundraisers for them and attended most Sunday's. 



My one cousin, Teri, still goes sometimes today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment