Friday, November 16, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter R is for Rahway, NJ (Wojtkowski/Holley)!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter R is for Rahway, NJ (Wojtkowski/Holley)!

My Great Uncle Stanley, who was born in New Jersey and died in New Jersey, had a son called Slash, who lived in Rahway, New Jersey


Great Uncle Stanley Wojtkowski or Slash (above). Taken from obituary Credit: The Monitor Newspaper July 23, 2012


From Google Earth. Rahway, NJ is highlighted in yellow above.


He was a husband to Susan Lazar, a father to two sons, a police officer and looked up to in the community and church. 

Credit: The Monitor Newspaper July 23, 2012

I never knew about him until I started to research my Great Uncle's life. This is when I learned about him. My father, nor my uncle, ever said anything about him to me, so I never got to know him. 

What I found was he had 2 sons and was divorced. The ex-wife and sons left him and moved away. As you can read by the obituary above.

Within a few years, Slash had an accident and ended up dead. He was still pretty young, 47, when he passed away. 

I haven't been in contact with his children or ex-wife, but from what I've seen on Facebook, he would now be a grandfather and his two children are successful in jobs. I think he would have loved knowing that.

If you are Slash's children, one of the many cousins they/we have, and are reading this, please contact me. I would love to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment