Thursday, August 27, 2020

We want to be remembered... - 52 Ancestors challenge

 This is a prompt from 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic
Week 35's theme is "Unforgettable." Family history is about remembering. Who or what in your family is unforgettable? What have you discovered in your research surprised you that it was forgotten? What are you doing to make sure your discoveries aren't forgotten?

When I first read the topic, I thought of pointing out how I've tried to pass along information - Posting it on this blog, have multiple Facebook Groups for the different sides of the family (Gauquie, Schmitz/Wojtkowski, Ostrzycki), and answer any email queries as fully as I can. Also, if anyone wants my files I have, I have copied the entire thing to people's hard drives. I've started various other ways to share like writing up stories, and quilts, but they take awhile to do. 

My first ancestor quilt  Credit: J Fitzgerald

I'm trying to think of quicker and more interesting ways to make others interested in the history side. I'm trying to come up with a game and a quilt which has a tree on it but I'm stumped as to what format these should take and how to make them for quickness as well. 
One of the ideas I'm thinking of doing of something I found online.

I'm thinking maybe a generation tree (14 or so generations but wanted to include others (brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles in it but not sure how). 

I was thinking of something like this but listing all the siblings and DOB and DOD on it too on a quilt. 

Then I was thinking maybe a small board game with small cards as the questions, small pieces for people, and base it maybe on Monopoly with people in transportation for railways, Denmark for Park place (blue), Belgium another color, US another color and Poland being another. Maybe something on farming, entertainment like dancing/singing, etc. However, I need to come up with something that's not going to be huge to store and can be folded up without falling to bits which is why I'm stumped. 

Maybe something like this but for the family. Credit

Then I took another read of the topic. 

How can I have it so future generations won't forget me and my husband? 

It is a fair question, due to us not being able to have children. We are the last of our lines. We will not have any kids or grandchildren to remember us and to pass along any of our stories. These are all facts. Sad facts, but still facts. 

I used to believe others in the family would pass along information on us, so I wasn't too worried. However, the past few years, I don't believe this any longer and it saddens me, but not completely shocked like I used to be when I think of history of when I was growing up. 

Which leads me back to the original question of the future not forgetting us. I'm not sure. I have started to look into maybe filing the paperwork away electronically and giving it to the county genealogical society in the US as that's where people in the future would probably look and they have laws pertaining to keeping history of the area, so that might work. 

Then again maybe like in life, in death, people will just forget about me and it'll be like I've never happened. It sure wouldn't be the first in this lifetime that's happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment