Thursday, August 27, 2020

What has been my Favorite Discovery? Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic
What is the neatest thing you've found while exploring your family's history? What makes you smile even now thinking about it?

 I would probably say the greatest thing I found when I started to research is just how many cousins I actually have out there. 

Growing up I only had my father's brother's 2 sons as cousins, but even then we were like ships in the night. I knew they were there, what their names were, but not much else was said about them unless is was by my paternal grandmother which was always pointing out something they were doing - cub scouts, baseball, diving, etc. 


I don't think she ever knew everything I was up to - selling the most girl scout cookies, walking in parades for the girl scouts and the numerous bike and running events I was in to raise money for other kids. I was always up to something. In fact, my mother at one point refused to take me any longer to them, so I was riding my bike to the event, entering it, and then participating in it. Then afterwards, I'd get back on the bike and ride all the way home. I did this until I was about 14 or 15 when I really hurt my back, knee and ankles. Yep, I was a mess! 

Anyhow, after my paternal grandmother passed, I really had no information as to how to even contact my uncle or cousins, so I had to let it go. Besides I got busy doing all the normal things of teenagers. 

In fact, I graduated and got married within this time. After I got married in 1997, I started to do genealogy and started to research a bit of the family which was nice, but it was hard to do this among life.

Then I found out in 2002 what their phone number was and called it. We went over to visit with my aunt and uncle for a few hours which was great to catch up again and introduce them to my husband. Who would have thought within months my uncle would pass away and I would get to see my aunt and cousins again? 
Credit: H. Schmitz. Myself with my hubby, my cousins from Germany, the US and my siblings

Anyhow, we went to the services, and caught up with other family as well. It wasn't until a few years later I started to really dig into the family history stuff and in about 2-3 years I started to find some family. I found my mother's nephew Jason, a cousin, and then his family. Then from there I set up facebook group pages for each of my researched families and then more and more cousins started to find me. Now, I've been so busy with everyday stuff, that I haven't been able to do more research, but more cousins are finding me! 

To me, that is so cool. I never imagined that I would have so many cousins from all around the world and doing so many great things out there! 

Here're just some of them: 



















Looking near and far never felt sooo good. Its good to finally meet you my cousins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment