Thursday, September 3, 2020

What's in a Tombstone? - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic
Week 21's theme is "Tombstone." I've always felt comfortable in cemeteries. I've always been fascinated with the stories scattered among the tombstones. Have any of your ancestors left an intriguing tombstone? Maybe you have a story of your search for where your ancestor is buried. (Any ancestors in Tombstone, Arizona? <g>)

Well I am certainly different than Amy, who came up with the challenge topic, who said she's comfortable in cemeteries. 

While not comfortable, I'm not uncomfortable either. I'm just very aware that people's bodies are under the ground that we may have to walk on to get to other graves or tombstones. I think my husband, who seems very comfortable in them, thinks I'm nuts. 

I, on the other hand, when we walk over the ground, I apologize to the person there for walking on them and try and walk around where their bodies are buried. I'm just showing respect to them because its not their fault we have to walk over them or might just step on their feet. I'm very aware of this. 

Anyhow, as any regular readers to my blog know, in 2019 we went back to the US and there I found a huge amount of tombstones of my relations. I even found my grandmother which I was shocked about because we had no idea where she was buried. In fact, we are still fighting to get her death certificate and she died in 1999. Unfortunately, we'll never know what types of diseases or anything she might have had or what was done to her because she was in state custody due to needing mental care. 

After we got back and I started to share the pictures after our trip, one of my cousins asked me about one of the other tombstones. "Who is the person next to our great grandfather? His tombstone and grave seems awful close to his, so their must have been a connection. Can you find one?" 


Credit: J. Fitzgerald. Taken January 2019. My great grandparents in front and my grandmother in the back (Gauquie). 


Credit: J. Fitzgerald taken in January 2019

Well I did research it a bit both on Find a Grave, Billiongraves and even the newspapers. I didn't find much which is pretty puzzling. 




So the mystery continues....

This being said, a story was told to me by my Uncle. Apparently he was told before his grandmother Bernice died, she told everyone she did NOT want to be buried with her husband no matter what. While I thought this was weird, I accepted it for what it was worth. 

Afterwards, I found where great grandma Bernice was buried. Also what I found was while her husband wasn't buried with her, he bought to plot next to her and was buried there. He's the one that has this mystery tombstone on the other side of him. 
Credit: J. Fitzgerald. Taken January 2019. This shows just how close Pavlik was to my great grandfather. Further my great grandmother's tombstone looks like she's trying to lean away from him as much as she can! 

Earlier this month, August 2020, one of my other cousins who had a bit to do with my grandmother (his great aunt) and our great grandmother, he was told by his father that Bernice's husband was a really bad drunk. This is probably the reason why she didn't want anything to do with him. My mother told me his kids didn't want anything to do with him either. 

Sometimes Tombstones can tell you a lot and sometimes not so much...

Like with my great aunt Honey. Her name was never put on the headstone at all, but her grandson says she was buried there. 
Credit: J. Fitzgerald. Taken January 2019. The blank area is where my great aunt Honey is said to be buried according to her grandson. 


No comments:

Post a Comment