Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Family Photo

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

The topic's brief:
What is a family photo that has special meaning for you? Tell about the people in the photo, when and where it was taken, and why it was taken.

What picture should I choose?
There could be a few pictures I'd put up for this one, but its difficult to decide. I think one of the overall one that I like is the one I've chosen below as it shows family.

Taken in July 2002 in Marlboro, NY after the funeral of John S. Schmitz, Sr. Copyright Helmut Schmitz.
Why this photo?
The one I've chosen is because it does have a special meaning for me due to it being one of the few family pictures we have of most of my family. I've never had portraits of my siblings and I taken due to two of them fighting since I was very young. Its been over 35 years since they started it the fight still goes on today.

Family is important as you only have one, and it should count for something.

Anyhow, putting the fight aside, the picture shows my father's cousin and wife (Helmut and Barbara) from Germany. First time I had ever met anyone on my father's side of the family.

Then there's my cousin, John, my aunt Jenny, and my cousin Joseph. They had just lost their father and husband which was the reason why we were all together unfortunately.

Then comes my father Matt, his second wife Louise, my husband Brett and my sister Debbie. We all just stood where we could before the picture.

On the lower group of people in the picture, is myself Jo Ann, my sister in law Kathy, my brother Charlie, and his son CJ or Junior.  Once again we just stood where we could in the picture.

It was taken in Marlboro, New York where my aunt and uncle were teachers and lived. Since my uncle's death, my aunt has now moved out of the state.

The lesson that never gets old: You never know what will happen to your family, so take pictures, and stand by them when they need you to and call for help if you need them.

Too bad some people don't learn these lessons...

No comments:

Post a Comment