Saturday, February 23, 2019

Ancestors in 52 Weeks - At the Library

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic ideas:

Some ways you could interpret this theme include: 
  • an ancestor that you discovered while researching at the library; 
  • an ancestor who was a librarian or an author; 
  • an ancestor who had a large book collection; 
  • an ancestor who you picture being in a library; 
  • or maybe a relative who took you to the library.


I really don't know where to start with this topic.

Love of books and reading
The first idea was to talk about books and the love of reading and who they were/are. The problem with this is, as far as I know, my mother in her younger years would carry books to and from the library by the armfuls. I was told this by my sisters.

In fact, one of the times she was crossing the wet grass, in tennis shoes, and slipped which resulted in breaking of her ankle. Apparently she was on her way from the library. I'm not sure if she had books with her or not.

The one problem I have with this, is I've never seen my mother pick up a book and read it. In fact, growing up when I was trying to further my education, she did everything in her power to go against me getting an education and reading is included in this. It was really frustrating for me.

I can hear you ask, why? Why was it frustrating? Well, I started reading for myself in the second grade. True it wasn't thick books, but it was books to read. After that a few years, I got involved with volunteering in the library at school and this included helping other kids.

One class award for reading 1983

My Library helper award in Elementary School

Another Library helper award in Elementary School. Notice the books in the background?

Award for helping in the Library

My last Library helper award in Elementary School. 
The bonus of this was my two oldest nieces, who were in the same school, I got to help and encourage them to read. My sister and I were always reading to them usually with the little Golden books. Then during the long summer vacations from school, we'd go to the library for books and story time. It was great because it didn't cost a thing and it encouraged them to read and go looking for books.
Our nephew sitting back and reading in 2017. Nothing like passing along the love of reading. Credit J. Fitzgerald

At one point, I had a huge collection, and started a mini library where my friends could borrow the books as long as they returned them. I had a piece of paper and had them sign for them. My mother thought it was a waste of time, but a few of the other kids around the neighborhood loved the idea.

For myself, by the time I was in my early teens, I was already starting to read the teen romance books. The one I especially liked was P.S I Love You. Once I hit my late teens, I had switched to the Harlequin (Mills and Boon) and Second Chance at Love series. These were great because I could go up the road from our house and get armfuls of books for nothing at the library.

1994 In one of the college libraries where I studied to get my Associates Degree Copyright J. Fitzgerald

By the time I hit adulthood, I had to switch from personal reading to full textbook reading so I could finish my associates degree in Business Computer Technology. Then it was off to start my Bachelor's until I had to stop that due to money. The entire time my mother criticized me the entire way, but it didn't stop me. If anything, it encouraged me and I started to load up bookshelves all around the apartment.

Since marrying and moving to Australia, I had to leave my books behind. However, I did make notes on some of the books I liked, so I could get them. I have gotten some of them in electronic format. When we built our house, as soon as we moved in and we seen how many boxes of books, my husband made the comment it had to stop. Well that lasted for about 10 years when I started to make them all electronic so I still had them but we didn't need them around the house. I did donate them to the various charities.
One of our many rooms in the house where books tried to take over. Copyright J. Fitgerald

At the same time, I then started to write reviews for books. At first it was on Harlequin during the yearly book challenges, but this was very complicated and soon stopped. However, everyone went over to this review site for books, called Goodreads, and I started to leave reviews there. In the past few years they started to do yearly book challenges too, but its very simple and I love it. The hardest part for me is finding the time to write reviews instead of reading. Its always a hassle. To find out what I'm currently reading or my reading numbers, you can find it out by going on my page on our website.
Me with our dogs while reading. Copyright J. Fitzgerald

The one area I've fallen down on is I don't keep track of the genealogy books I've read due to only reading small amounts at various times.

Genealogy and Reading
Recently I found a few of my ancestors had done their part with helping others to read and encouraged it in others. I know myself, I've helped out at some of the Learn Local areas, to help and encourage people to read.

Credit. My ancestor is highlighted above
Credit. My ancestor is the one mentioned in the last paragraph on the right.


I do go to the library but have to be careful because I can spend days in there if they let me. I do go in and try to find books I want and check them out. However, many times I get sidetracked and start reading books. I do the same thing with reading newspapers.

Credit and copyright are completely Geneapalooza's
What I have taken to doing, is reading both electronic copies of books, magazines and newspapers as well as the old printed page stuff. Its important to get the information in anyway and not just one way. The printed information (no matter how it is communicated) is more important than what medium its on. This is one thing we are losing unfortunately.

Books are a great thing...you can travel the world without needing a budget and become anything within the cover of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment