Friday, September 28, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter I is for Izegem/Iseghem!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter I is for Izegem/Iseghem!

This is referencing the Gauquie or my maternal side of the family. Iseghem is one of the many towns in Belgium. The reason for the Izegem/Iseghem reference above is because Izagem is usually spelt Iseghem especially in the older generation. Usually it’s to do with who has control of the land in this case one is a French spelling and one is a Belgian spelling. 

Taken from Google Earth


If you’ve been reading this challenge, I’ve noted before my mother’s side is from West Flanders in Belgium and this is where Iseghem or Izegem is and that’s noted above on the map. In this area, they speak the Dutch language. When my great grandfather came to the US, instead of putting Dutch down, they put down they spoke Flemmish which, from what I’ve read, is a type of Dutch language in Belgium. To me this is weird in a way because it’s like saying I speak New York English which just doesn’t seem right.

Anyhow, my mother’s family came from this area – The Verhaeghe’s. In fact my 2 nd cousin 3x removed, Prosper Valère Verhaeghe, lived here. In fact, Prosper and his cousins are very interesting people.


Below is a map on how we are connected through the generations. 

A chart in Ancestry.com showing relationships

As you can see, this is many generations back!

Prosper Valère Verhaeghe
Prosper was born in Iseghem. He fought in World War 1 during the Somme battle in France.

Picture taken with permission from Josephine from Geneanet


After the war he took over the bakery from his father. He would be a baker for the rest of his life and loved it which was told to me by his, and my, cousin Jackie.

Picture from Jackie from Geneanet of him on his bike in Iseghem


Marie-Therese Verhaeghe
She’s Prosper’s sister. In fact, she’s Prosper’s half-sister.  This is what makes her so interesting.
Apparently their mother had a one night thing with a man and got pregnant. Then he left. Anyhow, during her pregnancy, she meets Remi Eugene Verhaeghe and they get married. They raised Marie-Therese as if she were biological to both of them and no one ever suspected anything differently until after her mother’s death when cousin Jackie started to do the family’s genealogy and found the paperwork and did some math.
Picture from Jackie from Geneanet of Marie-Therese

Anyhow, she was born in Izegem, died and is buried there as well.

Jean Amand Verhaeghe

Jean was born and died in Izegem.

In 1913, Jean was ordained as a Priest. He went around to many churches in Belgium. Some include: Saint-Amand Courtrai, Wevelgem, Saint-Jean Ypres, and St. Michael’s in Bruges.

He retired in 1962 and died in 1973.

Bertha Emma Barbara Verhaeghe

Like Jean, she was born and died in Izegem.
She was consecrated in the religious order in Izegem. She was known in the convent as “Zusters van Maria”. She was the last one in the convent and was very old.

Picture from Jackie from Geneanet of Bertha Emma as Nun.

When she died in Izegem, she was buried in the cemetery under the name “Zusters Maria van”.

Antoine Maria Joseph Verhaeghe

Antoine, like his sisters and brothers, was born and died here.

Picture from Jackie from Geneanet of Antoine

I don’t much about him.

Robert Marcel Verhaeghe

Robert, like the others, was born and died here.

Picture from Jackie from Geneanet of Robert
Gerard Urban Julien Marie Verhaeghe

Like the others, he was born and died here.
I don’t much about him.

As you can see, they were all siblings but all took their own paths. One thing is very clear though, and that’s they all were born and died in the area. From what cousin Jackie says, their children are still living in the area and all speak Dutch. 

In fact, many do not speak English or own a computer. Yes, no computer, internet, tablet or smartphone. Shocking as at this point in our times because most people have some sort of computer. Even if it’s not a traditional computer than at least a phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment