Tuesday, May 8, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter H is for Hamilton, Ohio!


In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter H is for Hamilton, Ohio!

The person who married Jules Gauquie after his first wife, Annie, died was Belle Reu Lehmkuhl. 

This was Belle's second marriage after her husband, Karl Lehmkuhl, died. I know he died sometime between 1925 and 1930 due to the census. The New York State Census in 1925 has them together (see the red box below).

Carl and Belle listed in the 1925 NYS census.
Credit NARA

But by the 1930, the Business directories have her listed as a widow (see red square below)
Belle's listing in a NJ directory as a widow in 1930.
Credit US City Directory
Then on October 20, 1934, Belle became Jules' second wife. 

I was able to find the brides index for NY state. 
1934 Brides marriage index
Credit Ancestry
And here's Jule's entry on the Groom index for NY State. 

1934 Grooms marriage index
Credit Ancestry

I don't have their marriage certificate as yet, due to NY state laws. However, below is the 1940 US Federal Census. 
1940 US Federal Census listing Jules and Belle as married and had been since before 1935. Later I found when they had married.
Credit: NARA
She was very active within the community and with Jules' family as you can see by the below newspaper articles. 

Belle is mentioned the above article in red.
Credit 1945 - 15th Oct - Mrs Julius Gauquie Red Cross Volunteer - Middletown Times Herald
Belle is mentioned above in red.
Credit: 1946 Oct 5 Middletown Times Herald
Belle mentioned above in red.
Credit: 1949 Dec 31- Middletown Times Herald


She remained his wife until he died in 1946. After he died, she lived around the area for a bit and was still active within the community and buying/selling land. 

Belle mentioned above in red.
Credit: 1956 Sept 16 Middletown Daily Record
Credit The Evening News April 25, 1957
Credit is above.

Credit is above.

However in 1984, she moved to where her daughter lived from her first marriage – Ohio. 


If going in a direct line, from Blooming Grove to Hamilton Ohio where Belle moved after Jules died.

















Actually, she lived in Cincinnati, Ohio and ended up dying there in June 1984.

This is Belle's obituary and burial information. The article on the right gives her maiden name and ancestry.
Credit The Evening News Jun 25 1984
According to the above article she was brought back to NY to have all the services and to be laid to rest in Washingtonville, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment