Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Baiting relatives to get a nibble - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

 Another prompt by 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge. It's run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic
This week's theme is "Cousin Bait," which is a term used to describe the ways we try to attract the attention of others researching our families. It could be things like blogging, having a public online tree, or leaving comments on a FindAGrave memorial. Have you successfully set cousin bait or got hooked by someone else's? (You could also take a more literal route and talk about fishermen in your family tree.)

I never heard of "cousin baiting" before until I read the above definition of it. Most people who know me, know I'm a straight shooter and if asked something directly, unless it pertains to something sensitive, I'll give my opinion whether you like it or not nor if it fits in with what you are expecting or want it to be. That's just me. 

Confession time - I've done the cousin baiting thing. Yep. Am I sorry for it? Definitely not. 

I've done it on Find A Grave to memorials until I learned I can link them, and now I email the person who's in charge of the memorial to see if we're related and then get the thing linked. 

My biggest baiting I did was for my mother's aunt Helen Lasser Gauquie. 

Picture of Helen. Credit: T. Gauquie

I was going through current people I have living and did a Google search on their names as I sometimes do. However, this time it came up as she had passed away with the past few weeks. Usually its within a few years I find them like this, but this one was so close in time I figured someone might be monitoring the memorial site as it was still active. 

My entry on Great Aunt Helen's memorial site in 2014. Credit: J. Fitzgerald

I figured I'd put our names in starting at my mother's as she was the common link between us and Great Aunt Helen. There were a few memorials and for one I put my email address (as an image so it couldn't be spammed) but I don't recommend doing this now. 

It was only about a week went by and I received an email from Helen's daughter asking me how we were related and other questions. I had just as many questions about the whole side as my mother wouldn't answer any questions whatsoever. 

We started to talk over email and Facebook, and before long we started to fill in gaps. Then she hit me with a you know who you should be talking to? Jason as he's more of a cousin to you than to me. At first this really confused me because I didn't know of a Jason. Then she told me he was the son of one of my mother's brothers. I was shocked. 

Anyhow, I contacted him and we started to talk. I found out so much information about him and that side of the family from both him and Teri (Great Aunt Helen's daughter). 

I had much to share too. I had started to link up the family in Belgium which was quite expansive. It took me a few months but eventually I was starting to see the family story evolve from where we were in the 1700s to in the 2000s. It was an interesting journey that was for sure. 

We had always said if I was ever back in the US we'd have to get together to "meet". Jason and I think we saw each other back when I was about 3 1/2 and he was about 12 months old once at our Great Aunt Honey's house. 

In January 2019, I went back to the US for my brother funeral and was able to catch up with them.
My uncle with my 2 cousins and myself in 2019. Credit: J. Fitzgerald

We still do catch up, usually over email as Jason's busy with running his company and family, and Teri's busy in New York City. 
Credit: Giphy

After all
, family is very important to keep a link - if you can. Chains may be broken, but they can be repaired as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment