Thursday, March 18, 2021

Who are the fortunate ones - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Another prompt by 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge. It's run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic 

This week's theme is "Fortune." Merriam-Webster gives several definitions for fortune: A large sum of money; prosperity attained partly through luck; or destiny, fate. Be creative with this week's prompt!

Some people say to have a fortune, you have to have money in the bank or be wealthy. In fact, on my mother's side, my great grandfather, Jules, felt that way. At one point, he had a farm, a wife that loved him, and children. In fact, he then started to add to the land he either mortgaged or paid for until he owned most of the land around the dairy farm they had. And yet, he couldn't, or wouldn't, get his wife a jacket for the winter. That's right, his wife, which he told everyone he loved dearly and wore the ring she gave him upon her death and then later kept it, he wouldn't even buy her a jacket. In fact, the story I heard was it was in the middle of winter, she was freezing but he wouldn't buy her one. Her daughters, my great aunt's, went out and bought her one and gave it to her. Unfortunately, from the story, she wore it once - on the way to St. Luke's Hospital in Newburgh, New York, where she ended up dying. 

My great grandmother, Annie, loved Jules. She raised 7 children, held one as he died when he was 6 years old, was a full time carer of their daughter once she contracted polio, and helped milked the cows and run the farm. Why else would she work so hard? 

This is not Jules Gauquie, but Charles Gauquie. This is proven by the NYS Death Index (below). The mother that is mentioned is Annie. Credit as on image. 

The yellow highlighted section above is the person the newspaper is talking about (above). 

This is Annie doing the morning milking when she was injured. 
Credit: As in image

This was found in an old couch Jules owned. When people were moving it, the ring dislodged and came out. They were married in 1896. The names are inscribed. Credit: T Gauquie.

Some might say she was the fortunate one because she married Jules, who had a great standing in the community. However, if anything, the fortunate part came with her children. I know her children loved her and visited her often. I found many occasions in the newspaper when this happened. Below are just a small section from 2 of her children. Others live nearby so chances are she saw them more often.   







All credit for articles as noted.

I believe she encouraged her children to be whatever they wanted even if it upset Jules. I know Jules and my grandfather, Louis, fought. This is evidenced to him being kicked off the farm before he was even 15 years old. 

This is in 1924 for my grandfather (in yellow). He was born in 1909, which would make him 15 years old. I know from talking to cousins, he and his brother (William) had a fight with Jules and were thrown off the farm.  Credit

However, I believe my grandfather eventually gave in and settled things with Jules because he lived for a short time and visited the farm after the fight I mentioned above. In fact, my grandparents' first child was named after my grandfather and his father - Louis Julius. They did classify him as a Junior, but technically he wasn't due to having a different middle name to my grandfather - Louis Paul. 

My grandfather, Louis' Railway Road Retirement Board document where he states his full name. His middle name was after his maternal grandfather, Paul. Credit: RRRB


My Uncle Louis' NYS Birth Index register in yellow. Notice he has a J in the middle - later I found out that was for the name Julius - his grandfather. Credit

This is the back of a picture we have of my Uncle Louis in my Uncle Jimmy's handwriting. Notice how he didn't classify my Uncle Louis as Jr but classified his son (his nephew) as Louis the III? 

I think this was where my great grandmother's fortune was - with her children who loved her, and tolerated their father. According to what I've been told, Jules didn't care as long as the community thought he was a great guy and he did things within the community for them, but yet didn't care about his own children. I went into how he treated their daughter who had polio after his wife, Annie, died.

She do know she got a passport in May 1924. For this, she had to get her husband to sign the form and take a picture. In the picture, she has a slight smile on her face, so I can only imagine she was excited to go back to her home country after living in the US for over 28 years. This is the only picture I have of her. 

Annie's 2nd page of her passport application with Jules' signature and Annie's picture. Credit

By July 1924, she was on her way back from Denmark according to shipping manifests I found at Ellis Island. 


Annie's entry is in yellow. Notice the date on top and its says travelling to NY. Credit

It's hard to believe in less than 9 years later, she would be dead. 

Probate of her will in Feb 1933. Credit

Although, she had many assets in her name, I believe Jules had her do this, did it without her knowledge, because of tax purposes. According to her will, all the the assets were to go to her daughters only. In fact, she had set aside some money for Mary Ann's care (the child with polio), but Jules sent her away. This is just some of her asset pages. 

This is just one page out of about 5 or more pages of assets. I think she couldn't get to any money because Jules had the only access to it. Credit


I believe Annie knew her fortune was with her children, and cherished those times. I think the children's fortune was her because she gave them what Jules couldn't - love and her full attention. 

That's all any child wants and deserves. 



No comments:

Post a Comment