Sunday, November 10, 2019

The value of the word Rich - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic Info:
The theme for Week 45 is "Rich Man." I encourage you to be creative with this theme. Of course, if you have the proverbial "rich uncle," feel free to write about him, but think about other ways that one can be "rich." Also think about names. Any Moneypennys or Banks in the family tree? How about an ancestor with the first name of Wealthy?

This is contrast to next week's topic of poor man.

What's within the word 'rich'?
Many people look at it and immediately think rich = MONEY! Others think of the name Rich or Richard, which we do have a person within the family with the name (Hi Rich! *waves*). I do admit the first came into my mind almost immediately and I shook my head. But within a minute it went to what makes me feel fulfilled or happy to make me rich. It was only after I sat down to start to write, I thought of the third type of Rich being the name.

Word for the rich (cha ching!)
Money is one thing my family's never had. Instead we try and pride ourselves on helping others with no thought to how we can profit from it. Being rich you can be in so many other ways like helping others and through your family.
This is not the thing which can bring you to being the richest person on Earth. Credit

Remember, money can't buy you love - in body, mind or spirit! Or in things like courage, honest, truthful, decent, respect, and so many other ways which doesn't cost a thing.

Richness in other ways
In some respects, when it comes to helping others, our family does do this pretty well, which I've written about before. This can make you one of the richest people by what it gives to you without cost. Like respect, feeling good about yourself, self esteem, decency and many other ways.

Many people would put family down. My side of the family are not a close family by any stretch. But the richness comes in when you look at how much my family does for the community and within the service of the military.

I've been told I try and find the sunshine and good in everyone. I don't know how true this is, as I think I'm very cynical usually.  I figure everyone deserves to start with a blank slate with me and I form my own views on each person so everyone is treated fairly.
An Award at one of the Learn Locals I used to teach for. 
If this makes me a rich and well thought of person, then I guess I am. And if things start to go badly, I try and rescue it and make a positive out of it if I can.

I don't go looking, but I also know how to add and put scenarios together to come up with a result. I try and limit the bad results but they do happen.

I guess that's why when people ask the question, "What would you go back and change if anything?" I really have to think hard because it's usually something I hadn't done or said only because I hadn't thought of it - hindsight is great. This year this question has come back to me more times than ever before with the death of my brother, sure can change it if we go back but guess what? Sometimes the outcome will still be the same too.

Top of the Richness on My List

My husband, Brett, and I at Sam's Point in New York in 2019. Credit. J Fitzgerald

I'm rich for having my husband, who always has my back, and my father in law, Noel, for the same.
My father in law Noel in 2019 at a wedding. Credit J. Bishop
My brother will always be within my heart and make me the richest of rich for just being in my life.

My brother and I telling dirty jokes at Valley Central High School in Montgomery NY in 2000. Credit: J. Fitzgerald
My memorial of my brother since his passing in January 2019. Credit: J. Fitzgerald

If I had to judge by these people (above) if I'm rich, then with these three I'm richer than anyone on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment