Monday, September 16, 2019

Cousins to grow up with and new ones - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic Info:
Cousins can make our family history more interesting. Whether it's the family stories you share with your close cousins at holiday gatherings or the research you share with the more distant cousins, you shouldn't overlook the impact that cousins make. This week, write something about one of these important people. Maybe it's a favorite memory with a cousin or a research breakthrough you made thanks to one.

My family hasn't been the closest even with my siblings. At times, we were close, but at others we weren't. Then when you add in cousins, it's even more distant. 

Paternal Cousins
Growing up, I knew about my Uncle John's sons. When I went over to see my grandmother each summer, she would talk about them and what great things they were doing. However, me seeing them? It wasn't very often for me. I would go over, say hi to them and might spend a few hours every few years with them. Then as I grew older, my grandmother would take me over to my uncle's house, but the whole family was on a family summer trip, and my grandmother would watch their house for them, so I never got to see them, but I could walk around the house a tiny bit. 

The last time I had seen them was when my uncle passed away in 2002. I had finally found out where my uncle lived as no one ever gave me his address or phone number until our visit about 6 months before he passed away. The one thing I didn't do was get a picture with him and my aunt, which saddens me. 

July 2002 at Uncle John's funeral in New York. Back row: Barbara & Helmut Schmitz from Germany. Cousin John, Aunt Jenny, Cousin Joseph, my father Matt, my stepmother Louise, my husband Brett, my sister Debbie. Front Row: Me, my sister in law Kathy, my brother Charlie, and my nephew CJ. Credit: H. Schmitz
However, we have retained contact since then by being friends on Facebook and I now exchange christmas cards with my aunt and cousins. Its something small, but at least the contact is still there. 

Maternal Cousins
I didn't know any of these growing up. I've stated in past posts where my mother just wouldn't talk about her side. However, once I started to research her side of the family tree, and I started to let her know about it, she let out a few names, told me a few stories, which most I found to be untrue, and she then just clammed up. Now with her dementia, it's not a place I can go unless she starts to talk about things, but usually she doesn't. 


About three or so years ago, I was able to find an aunt of my mother's had died. I left a notice on the obituary and was contacted by her daughter. This opened up getting to know this side of the family. She passed along my information to MY cousin Jason and we started to get to know each other. 

January 2019 in New York. my uncle Jimmy, my cousin Jenine, my cousin Jason, and me. Credit. B. Fitzgerald
In fact, this past January, I was able to finally meet my uncle and two of my cousins. Since then, we've been contacting each other and exchanging information. 

Last week, I asked my cousin Jason, if I should try and find out more about our Uncle Louis and see if his widow, and possibly children, would like to get to know us. We both agreed it was worth trying. 

Me writing a letter. Credit J. Fitzgerald
Last night I sat down and wrote up a letter, with a stamp and everything, worth a few paragraphs of who I was and if they wanted to get to know each other. Today I'll put it in the mail and see what I get in response. I'm hoping I'll find we have even more cousins out there.

According to my research, I believe our Uncle Louis had a daughter, Deb, and a son, Louis. However, I'm not sure if this is completely correct (my gut says it is) but I think it is. We do know, because of family pictures, Uncle Louis had a son which he named after him - Louis. 

I'm hoping our aunt, and possibly their children, would like to at least connect to get to know each other. I'm of the thought process that you won't know unless you ask. I'm now asking this part of the family if they would like to reconnect and its up to them if they want to or not. 

But I hope they do!

Keeping my fingers crossed. Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment