Sunday, July 7, 2019

A Soldier in Spanish-American War and Philippines Independence -Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic Info:
In the U.S., we'll be celebrating Independence Day on Thursday, so it seems appropriate to have the theme of "Independent." You could feature a Revolutionary War veteran, an ancestor who had an independent streak, or an ancestor of independent means. Be creative!

I have to admit I didn't know where to go with this topic. I had 2 people my female ancestors who had married into families who fought in the Revolutionary War. The two families, though, I have tracing back to being against separation with England (aka loyalists) The last names were the Galloways (had a tavern which served as George Washington's HQ in 1777) and the Gardners which had links to this time.
Galloway link from quote from Monroe, NY which was known as Smith's Mill or Smiths Clove. My great grandfather lived on Clove Road mentioned above.
Whig State Convention in 1834 showing David Gardner (ancestor of Charles T) attending
However, I haven't been able to fully complete my links back to the Revolutionary War, although I have much evidence showing they are from around these areas including the fact, some of my family still live around here and others within our family have lived in the area since the 1960s at least!

Of course, I could have then talked about the area I grew up around as there's enough Revolutionary War history to fill books with. However, its not personal or ancestoral to me and I want it to be, so I'm going about it a different way.

Who was my first ancestor to fight for the US?

My first ancestor to fight for America was in the Spanish American War which I recently discovered thanks to one of my cousins who had me digging for more information on my Great Great Uncle Charles Gauquie when I found someone served in the military in the 1800s. He started the pathway of independance for the Philippines when the US recieved the islands after the Spanish American War and then by using a law, they had their independance returned to them. Notice the non-use of guns.

Charles Gauquie's Childhood and Military history
Charles Gauquie is my great grandfather's brother who was born on Feb 2, 1876 in Brussels Belgium. 

By his father's naturalization paperwork first filed in 1892 and then the 2nd paperwork in 1898, he has put they had been in the US since about, 14 years or 1884. However, according to his brother Jules' naturalization paperwork they arrived on April 4, 1888.

The first information I received was in the newspaper The Argus on July 12, 1898. This would have put them in the US for at least 10 years when he decided to volunteer as a 22 year old.

Chas was/is Charles Gauquie who was working for the railroad. Credit 
July 1898 and the company Charles signed up for is now known as another name. Also Charlies (in red) is now a private. Credit
Another newspaper article listing where Charles was living in 1898. Credit
And to make it even clearer he did serve in the Spanish American War, here's his card.
Charles' card for the war. Credit
As for his records these below were the only ones I could find of his time serving.
Charles' Service records - short and sweet but tells us where he went and who he had engaged. Credit
Not too much else of his serving is known by his records. However, I searched on newspapers for this area around this time. These accounts are below.
This is where the Philippines is. I bet Charles didn't even know where in the world he was. Credit

This is where he helped give the Commonwealth of the Philippines independence during the Spanish American War and then a few years later they received it from the United States once things had calmed down in the area and by a law - not guns.

According to Charles' records, he didn't get there until Jan1900, but this is what was happening when he did arrive. Credit
January 1900 Exactly where he would have been fighting and it was in the newspaper. Credit

This is a few days later about the fighting there. Credit

Another newspaper article at the same time as the one above but with a different point of view. Credit
And as Charles' military record shows, he was out of the military by June 30, 1901. Also, he was not wounded at all which is great news.

He came home, married and had children. At least one of which has served in World War 2.

In January 2019, I got to visit with him and take a picture of his headstone which is in Salisbury Mills, NY.

Jan 2019 at St Mary's. Credit: J. Fitzgerald
I found someone had put this on Find A Grave for him. This must have been under the snow in the above picture. If I would have seen it, I would have taken a picture. Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment