Monday, May 13, 2019

Nature of Kindness and of Community - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic information:
Any farmers or gardeners in the family? How about someone who simply loved to be out in nature? How about an ancestor with a nature-inspired first name or surname?

I believe where Amy is going with the next few posts is Nature versus Nurture debate for your ancestors. I am wrong, but I'm heading out my own way for this post. In doing this, I guess the best way to start these posts is to define the word and move on from there.

Nature: "The basic or inherent features, character, or qualities of something." "The innate or essential qualities or character of a person or animal." "Inborn or hereditary characteristics as an influence on or determinant of personality." (credit)

The Nature versus Nurture debate is defined as "The nature versus nurture debate involves whether human behavior is determined by the environment, either prenatal or during a person's life, or by a person's genes." (credit)

The topic is an super interesting one. Also, one I've actually been asked about before or comments have been asked about either with myself or with someone in the family. These are a mix of good and bad things like religion, drinking, truthfulness, helping the community, and various other things.

I have a sister who says she's a bitch (her words not mine but I agree with it and so do most people who know her) and she 's proud of it. There's a way to do things nice and not use certain words and temperament to get your point across; however, there are others when you can use all the worse words, tone and actions to get it across the wrong way. Myself, I'm a straight person and tell the truth. I might apologize in advance or tell you it might not be the way you think, but if you still insist, I will tell you what for but using as much kindness I can, unless you are being abusive towards me.  In contrast, my sister will just go right at you. She'll tell you she doesn't care if you like it or not because that's just the way it is and go jump. Not exactly the way to get points across, but that's what she does. Sometimes, she frustrates the whole of us and we just turn and walk away because it doesn't have to be that way. However, she wants things only her way and will only want it that way. Our father actually says "She's an odd duck that one." and leaves it at that which says something.

Anyhow... getting back to a happier topic...

The nature part of us has come through how we are kind and do things for our community. I know on both my father and mother's sides they have done this and its come through each generation I can see.

What's really weird is when I was growing up, my past relatives were not spoken about at all. I didn't know anything about them. In some instances, I didn't even know their names until I was an adult. However, since my research, I've found there are many instances we have helped others with kindness or in our community.

Nature of Kindness
This is going to be a hard one to show, because much of we've done, we did because we wanted to and not because we wanted recognition of it.

Adam Wojtkowski in the Great Depression had people come in and take food and put it on account. He'd rather loose a bit of money than have people go hungry. However, he ended up losing property and his business and work in a factory until after the Great Depression was over and he started again.

John Schmitz Sr would always have kids over to his house. He would tutor and help the kids in anyway he could even outside of school. All the kids knew where his house was and it always had kids there.

Jo Ann Fitzgerald (Me) performed in many type of bike and running races growing up. I also did many things through the Girl Scouts with volunteering. Then in college, we funded families during Christmas and Easter with food and presents.

Charles A. Schmitz Sr looked at our mother, grandmother, his wife and various other friends and family's cars, houses, etc to fix them if he thought he could.

Theresa Schmitz putting together a bike fund drive for the Danny Thomas' St. Jude Children's Research Hospital which I'll never forget due to her hanging up on him 3 times and swearing at him at least once.

and it goes on and on...but notice how its just words?

Doing things for our Community
This is much easier to show due to there being something put in the newspaper about it, or written about it and now on social media about it. I've found out things over the years about relatives which makes your heart feel good.

Autism Walk - with Paige, Taylor and Becky (Credit P. Blair )


My nieces in support of the community.  Credit R. Greenhaw Facebook


Neighbourhood Watch Casey at event for Country Fire Authority (Fire Department) for Black Saturday Remembrance. April 14 2019.
Pictured: D. Rosario, J. Fitzgerald, M. Eviota, N. Mortlock Credit: D. Rosario



John Schmitz Sr. obituary in 2002 showing how much he did in the community.



Jean Schmitz (my father's mother) helped out a police officer Credit



My grandfather, Matthew Schmitz, acted as Commander of the old VFW meeting to help vets in various ways as stated in article. Credit


My grandfather, Louis Gauquie, is mentioned. The mill dam mentioned I believe is the Rip Van Dam in Blooming Grove, NY



My great grandfather, Jules Gauquie, helps the community with giving a doctor a place to stay. Credit



My great grandfather and great aunts and uncles are mentioned in raising money for the church.  Credit: Feb 25,1938 in Middletown Times Herald


My great grandfather, great aunts and uncles are mentioned in raising money for the PTA (Parents Teachers Association). Credit as shown.


My great uncle on my mother's side, Jug has a long list of accomplishments highlighted in yellow. Credit


A great aunt on my mother side, Laura Kurpieski, was in various committees to help the community. This one above is one of the fundraiser for money for the community. Credit 



A great aunt on my mother side, Laura Kurpieski, raising more money for the community. Credit



My cousin Chris is helping with literacy. Credit
and I could go on and on and on.....

And this is without mentioning any public servants like fire fighters, nurses, military, etc.

This is one of the proudest accomplishments I found in my research, which balance out the bad...mostly.  In order to do this research, you have to take the good with the bad - its just how life is.


No comments:

Post a Comment