Saturday, March 2, 2019

Ancestors in 52 Weeks - At the Courthouse & Friends of the 'court'

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic:
What neat discoveries have you made at the courthouse? Or, do you have an ancestor who spent a lot of time at the courthouse, either as an official or as someone who ran afoul of the law? 

My Answer to the Courthouse:
As far as I know, we didn't spend much time in courthouses, courts, or with judges. I do know we've had our brushes with the law when we were younger, my brother did somethings and enjoyed the comfort of underage jail for a few weeks and I had a time when I got a few tickets which were thrown out, but overall, we were not around these places. 

There were stories of one of my grand uncles, my grandmother's brothers, who had a gambling problem and were wanted by the mafia, but I have no evidence other than what my grandmother and sister told me. There was a friend of my father's which I overheard one time talking on the phone which sounded like something from the mafia, but...again no proof. 

Friends of the court:
Of course, from what I've found we've always been there to help or be involved with the police in some way.

My Paternal Grandmother




Paternal cousin 1x Removed
Credit



Maternal husband of 1st cousin 2x removed - Sam Woncheck Sr.

Credit: Sam Woncheck

Then there's me: 
I'm currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Neighbourhood Watch Casey and do a lot of work with the police. Below is just one of the events in 2018.


My family, if anything, has worked or volunteered with the Public Service side of things

When I say public service, I'm talking about working for the government, working as a nurse, ambulance, and in those types of areas. Or we supported those in these types of areas. 

My 2x great grandmother Valerie. She was a nurse at one point during her life. 
Credit
My niece's husband - Firefighter 2001 Me with my two nieces, Becky and April. Becky's husband (was fiancee back then) served in the Fire Department. Credit: Jo Ann Fitzgerald

My niece's husband (now ex-husband) Ronald Chase Jr. fire fighter

                                                                                 Credit: J. Timberger

My maternal 1st cousin 1x removed - William Gauquie Jr- Firefighter
My Sister Debbie - Nurse. This is the cover of her nursing graduation in 1984. 

Below is my maternal 2x great grandfather Jules Gauquie - Public worker/Farmer/supporter of emergency services





My maternal Great Aunt Alice Gauquie Wilkinson was a nurse.

My sister Theresa organized a bikeathon in Lyon Mountain, NY to support St Jude's Research. I still remember this because when he called her to thank her for volunteering, she didn't believe him and hung up on him. It took a few times, with me laughing hysterically in the background, for her to realize it really was him and not someone pranking her. 

My Maternal 2nd Great Aunt Laura Kurpieski - Fundraiser and Various Committee member
Myself at an Event as a Victorian Public Staff (Government worker) Credit: J. Fitzgerald

My Maternal Great Uncle - Jug Jagodrinski - Veteran, Youth Sports and Coach basketball/baseball
Copyright Pittsburgh Tribune (as above) Public Service highlighted above





There are many others as well like priests, fathers, and reverends. However, I would be here all day if I listed them all. 









Instead I'm putting up a video! 



My maternal 2nd Cousin 1x removed - Reverend Lon Ostrzycki


This includes the military. 

I think in, at least 4 generations, we have only missed one at being in the military. However, if you count two of my cousins, then there's at least 4 generations that I can count where there has been someone in the military. I'm not going to list who these all are, but there are A LOT! 


 











Jimmy Sherman's Wings Credit: Jo Ann Fitzgerald





John Joseph Gauquie (first row officer) Taken 1943 422nd Night Fighter Squadron. Credit:Don Allee
Jean Bapiste Gauquie is my 5x Great Grandfather. Credit



And there are many, many more!




Credit: Jo Ann J. Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment