Monday, July 8, 2019

Long awaited Reunion of Gauquie's - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Topic Info:
Summer time is often time for family reunions. Does your family hold reunions? If not, perhaps you could write about a family reunion you would like to have or an ancestor who you would like to be reunited with. Maybe share the story of an ancestor who was separated from his or her family and whether or not they were reunited.

Growing up I was told, on my father's side, everyone was dead due to assassination in Poland. The German side wasn't talked about - at all.

On my mother's side, relatives just weren't talked about and, when pushed, I was told they were dead. This was the case until I let it be known I was doing genealogy and would like to know details. Then she started to talk to me around 2006 and started to talk about names and a few stories. However, when I started to check out the stories, I found they just didn't add up.

The only "reunion" of family I had was when I was about 8, my mother's mother, Janet, with who I share my middle name, was found and was able to come to our house from the mental hospital for Thanksgiving on South Montgomery Street in Walden, NY. However, she was on so much medication, she didn't say anything and just sat there, eyes open, and didn't say a word. One time she did turn and look at me before turning around to face the table again.

The next family reunion I've had came in 2019. Due to my research, I was able to find my mother's brother and his children. One of the children, Jason and I had talked over email and on one of the genealogy groups I created for the family. When my brother passed away in January 2019, we were going to the US anyway, so we decided to have a small reunion.
The Gauquie Family Reunion in 2019 in New York. Credit: Brett Fitzgerald

We met at my cousin's house in New York and spent hours talking about the family, talking about how my uncle, and in turn my mother, grew up, and different things I've found over the years. Uncle Jimmy told me I had met him before, but I don't remember it so I must have been very young.

We had a great time and we were very thankful for my cousin Jason in hosting the meeting at his house and to his sister Jenine and Uncle Jimmy for coming along.

Future Reunions
Hopefully, next time I can plan more reunions so I can meet more relatives out there. I'd love to have a reunion in Pennsylvania for those relatives and another in New York so more relatives can come along to that one.
The BBQ area of Thomas Bull Memorial Park. Credit

I was thinking maybe a BBQ and day at either the Hil-Mar Lodge or at one of the other local parks nearby like Thomas Bull Memorial Park.
The Lodge in 1931 just after the family sold it. Credit

Hi-Mar Lodge was where my grandfather was born and where my great grandparents had made their home in 1900. It would be a great as closure if we could have a reunion there, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment