Friday, October 5, 2018

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The letter L is for Linden, NJ (Wojtkowski/a) or La Guardia!

In 2017, there was a challenge. I heard about it from jillballau blog and more information can be found out about it on the A-Z Blogging Challenge (which was at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) page itself. However, as I was testing links I found the A-Z Blogging Challenge link is no longer working *frown*

Many people had done this challenge in April 2017, but I’m a rebel and do things when I have time, so I’ll do mine now. I’ve been working on it over many days, and was hoping to get it all done before posting BUT it’s taking me a lot longer than I expected. I’ll do a few posts now and work on the rest. 

I know I have about ½ of this challenge done in draft format, so not too bad.  J

What can I say – I’m an original. So, here I go…

The letter L is for Linden, NJ (Wojtkowski/a) or La Guardia!

When my grandmother and great grandmother arrived in the US via Ellis Island, my great grandfather lived in New Jersey in various areas. Within a few months of my grandmother and great grandmother arriving, they lived in Linden, New Jersey. 

Linden, NJ to New York, NY Map from Google Earth
She went to school and they moved around this area. In fact, my great grandparents lived in this general area the rest of their lives and are even buried nearby. 

A note from my grandmother's Naturalization file regarding her schooling.
My grandmother moved in New York City, Manhattan, for a few years where she met my grandfather. I think this was during the Prohibition (1920s), when she was a cigarette girl. 

What my grandmother looked like working. Credit
She loved to tell the story of how the cops would do a raid of the bar and she used to go into telephone booth and lay on the floor with the box above her head. Because she was so small, 4 foot 10 when she passed, they used to just walk right on by her. Remember this was in the time of prohibition and they were usually selling alcohol in some shape or form usually. 

Anyhow, after she met my grandfather they moved back to Linden. My father grew up in this area until he was about 10 give or take a few years. 

My grandmother in Linden, NJ in 1930s
in this family picture copyright J. Fitzgerald
This was on Linden's website until late 2018. Its the same building my grandmother was standing in front of in the 1930s.


The way my grandmother is standing with her hand on her waist, you can tell she's pregnant in the picture. According to Linden's website, they give different classes to the public in the building, so I think she probably came here for a check up or for a class. 

My father, who my grandmother was pregnant with in the above picture, lived his early life around Linden. NJ. Below is him in front of a fire hydrant.

My father during Linden, NJ summer late 1930s.
Copyright J. Fitzgerald
My grandmother and great grandfather used to travel back and forth from Newburgh, New York to Linden, New Jersey, after my grandparents and father moved away. 

Where does La Guardia fit into this?
You are probably asking about La Guardia fitting in as I mentioned this above. 

Well, my Great Uncle Stanley had married a woman by the name of Mary. They were living in Linden, New Jersey. Anyhow, remember how I was saying the family traveled from Newburgh, New York to Linden, New Jersey? 

One of these times, Great Uncle Stanley and Mary were coming up to visit my grandmother and ended up in a really bad car accident. Mary was killed. 

This happened in La Guardia not far from where the airport is. 

A map showing Elizabeth (on lower left) to LaGuardia (on upper right)
This may look far from Elizabeth, but many freeways lead you directly to that area, so it doesn't take long - you just have to make sure you get on the right freeway! In fact, to go up to northern NY, you must come this way to get the freeway to go up that way. Its quicker. 

Once again, I stumbled onto this information. I was looking through city directories to find out more about my great uncle's. I found one which listed him with a Mary and I asked my father about it.

US Directory listing my Great Uncle Stanley and Mary in 1957.
This is when I was told about Great Uncle Stanley being married to Mary. My father can't remember her last name. I think I might have figured it out, because of a census which listed Stanley, Mary and her family they were boarding off. However, I cannot say for sure it was them. 

This is how and why La Guardia is mentioned as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment