Sunday, October 18, 2020

Let's make the News - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic
Week 29's theme is "Newsworthy." Did any of your ancestors make it into the paper? What's an event that would have been newsworthy in their lifetime?

I've been trying to talk about other ancestors in my family, because it seems like I generally keep going back to the same few over and over again. If you feel this way too, sorry! Usually, I read the topic given to us by Amy (above) and then an idea of who I can use comes at me and I run with it. Honestly, I'll try and talk about other people more often! If you find I start doing this again, do me a favor? Leave a comment saying something about talk about another ancestor. I don't even realize I do it. I was just sitting here and thinking, after writing multiple posts, that I seem to talk about the same ones. 


Anyhow, this is another interesting topic because the Gauquie side of the family seemed to make the newspaper all the time. In some respects it was great because I was able to track where they were and what they were doing (many times person x visited x at home would be the only thing mentioned). It was good but after awhile it seemed weird. 

I'm going to run with the topic of "What's an event that would have been newsworthy in an ancestor's lifetime?" This way I get to talk about another side of the family I don't much talk about - The German Schmitz family! 

I have stated in past posts my paternal side of the family comes from Rheinland Germany area. For those of you who don't know where that is, it's the closest side to France, Belgium and Luxemburg


My paternal grandfather, who was born here and lived in this area of Germany until he was 19 years old when he left to join his aunt and uncle in Brooklyn, NY in 1926. 

I do know on 1 January 1926, the city of Cologne is badly hit by flooding in the Rhine River. Also, as you can see, the other areas around it are having their own issues from flooding in Paris to earthquake in Luxemburg
Could this be a reason why my grandfather left Germany for the USA? 

From his marriage document, my grandfather put he was born in Cologne. His birth entry says differently but I'm thinking he said this because it was the closest and biggest town nearby. People sometimes did this. 
My grandfather, Mathias, birth entry in Germany. Credit: Uwe Kruse for obtaining the above at the church and the tree. 

My grandparents' second marriage certificate. Notice the Birthplace entry for my grandfather. Credit: FamilySearch

The first of the Locarno Treaties were signed on October 1925 by Germany, France, Italy and Britain. It stated that the Rhineland should continue its demilitarised status permanently. The demilitarisation came about under the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 under articles 42, 43, 44(source). These treaties marked a dramatic improvement in the political climate of western Europe during this time.

On February 14, 1926 the Nazi Party hold the Bamberg Conference in an attempt to strengthen Adolf Hitler's control over the party.(source) Could there have been talk around the area that Hitler wanted more control? Could this be a reason why he left? He didn't want to be in the middle of this? 


In 1923, the last Americans left their headquarters in Koblenz in January. It was handed over to the French. This was in response to German failure to pay reparations under the Treaty of Versailles, France and Belgium occupied the industrial Ruhr area of Germany, most of which lies across the river on the east bank of the Rhine, until 1925.(credit) Due to the Locarno Treaties, the German foreign minister negotiated withdrawals of Allied troops from this area. In 1926, withdrawal from the Northern Zone around Cologne and the withdrawal in 1929 from Central Zone around Koblenz and withdrawal from the Southern Zone around Mainz, resulting in the end of the occupation in 1930.(credit) Less than 6 years later and Hitler returned military troops to this area.(credit)  Could the Northern Zone withdrawal by the Americans in 1926, influenced his decision to leave? Or did he hear rumors about Hitler and ran? 

Then you have the whole hyperinflation of the German mark in 1921-1923 where people were using their money to heat their homes. (Credit) In 1925, there was finally some stabilization of the mark due to debts were reinstated to compensate creditors partially for the catastrophic reduction in the value of debts which was before the hyperinflation started. Government bonds and mortgages were reevaluated and brought it back into line where things were prior. Most of this was brought on by reparations from the war and people wanting the government to pay. To ended it, a new currency (the Rentenmark) was introduced.(credit) and in 1923 as the government took actions to stabilize the currency,  the lower classes found themselves unemployed while the middle classes did relatively well (source). Post-war Germany never fully recovered, and mass unemployment eventually allowed Hitler to rise to power in the 1930s. (credit) Could these be further reasons why he left? As soon as he could get enough money together, did he leave? 

My Grandfather Mathias, left this area in Germany in 1926. 
Mathias' entry is at the bottom in Red. Credit

Look at how many reasons why he had to leave. Further, this isn't counting on any family disagreements be might have had with his family either. As my family, to this day, loves to squabble between us. 

Hitler repudiated Locarno Treaties by sending troops into the demilitarized Rhineland on 7 March 1936.

Once my grandfather arrived, he stayed with this Aunt and Uncle. However, I believe these were relatives of his Great Aunt and Uncle.

The last line at the bottom shows who he is going to stay with and where his last residence was. Credit

From here he went and filled out two Intention of Declarations to become a US Citizen before finally getting it in 1939. He changed his name from Mathias to Matthew probably to sound more American. He was married in 1934 to my grandmother, my father was born in 1934 as well, and they moved from NYC to NJ to be closer to my grandmother's father. 
Picture off of his 1930 Declaration Form

Picture off of his 1939 Declaration Form


Then World War 2 broke out, and he volunteered for the US war effort. Only to get sick and spend most of it in the infirmary from what I've been told (I haven't verified this as yet but know he was later part of the American Legion, see below, supporting other vets). 

After, they moved to Newburgh, NY to own a business. They had my uncle in 1947. Meanwhile, he had a number of tickets and other write ups in the newspaper. 













His sons get married and he soon as grandchildren. 
His son's wedding announcement.  Source: The Evening News, Newburgh, NY Dec 2, 1970

From what I haven't been able to find was after his youngest sons 1970 marriage, he just drifts off. Nothing more is written about him nor am I able to find anything. 

My father says he last saw in the Veteran Affairs hospital in Castle Point, NY. Mathias knew he was dying and he was in the hospital the last time my father saw him. I did find his Social Security Death Index about him but no obituary and nothing on where he's buried. 

Mathias (also known as Matthew) Social Security Death Index. Credit:As above.

This is why when you research someone, it's important to include a history of events around where they are at the time and things going on locally and within the country. There's still so many questions around my grandfather, but I do recognize I'll probably never know exactly why he moved from Germany to the US. 

No comments:

Post a Comment