Sunday, November 8, 2020

Forgotten family - Ancestors in 52 Weeks

This year's challenge is 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and is run by Amy Johnson Crow.

Information on the Topic
I remember early on in my research when I discovered that my great-great-grandmother lost two infants between censuses. With the exception of their death records, there was no other trace that they existed—no tombstones, no obituaries, not even birth records (likely because they died soon after they were born). Who in your research has been nearly forgotten? Another angle you could take: using a record that was nearly forgotten. Feel free to be creative with this prompt!

I think in my research, these types of findings hurt the worst. I'm not sure if its because I can't have children and think I may be forgotten as these children have. I'm always sad when I find them and have to admit when I find out about one of these, I try and do as much digging as I can to find out just who they were. Most have died when they were young, but others were known to others but either was told not to talk about them or it hurt them too much to talk about them. 

These young people are: 

Charles Edward Gauquie
Stefan Jagodzinski
Felix Ostrzycki
Frank Ostrzycki
Stanley Ostrzycki Jr

There are others who never made it to be a teenager and another one who died when they were just 18 years old. Young lives taken too soon are very sad. 

Charles Edward Gauquie
He was the son of Jules and Annie Gauquie. 
Baptism Record at St Mary's in Washingtonville, NY
I believe he was named after Jules' brother, Charles, but I could be wrong. 

1910 Census which showed him on it. This was the start of my search to find out who he was. 
Credit: US Census Bureau 

Charles' Death on the NYS Death Index showing when he died and where. Credit

The newspaper article I found after talking to my cousin once removed. Her father was with Charles when he fell through the ice and ran to get their mother, so this wasn't Jules but Charles. Credit as above.




Stefan Jagodzinski

He was Apolonius & Bernice Jagodzinski's 3rd child. 

This is the typed up Death Certificate of Stefan. I have the written certificate as well, but its hard to read. Credit 
This is his name on the Ohio Death Index. Credit

I don't have much information other than this. He is never mentioned on any other documents nor does anyone ever mentions him. I'm thinking my grandmother might have once mentioned him during her telling my mother about having a child and husband in Poland (maybe this could have been the child?). My grandmother had mental problems, or so we're told, so she or my mother could have gotten things jumbled. 




Felix Ostrzycki
Frank Ostrzycki
Stanley Ostrzycki Jr
The next 3 are brothers who all died very young. 
These are sons of Valerie and Stanley Osctrzcki. They are the last of their children they had. 
All died before they were 5. I only know them from the documents I found. 

Credit: Ancestry

Credit: Ancestry


Also, we have a few others which had died before they were teenagers as well. Another was just 18 when he died in a crash. Each of these tiny people should be remembered because they are part of our family as much as their brothers and sisters were/are. 


Credit: Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment